Over 50 Outdoors
Over 50 Outdoors: Outdoor resources for 50+ folks including tips, safety, gear, and ideas that enable ageless, outdoor adventures!
How can I continue to enjoy outdoor adventure after 50? Do I have what it takes to begin enjoying outdoor adventure over 50? Great questions! The answers involve your individual health, your objectives, commitment, experience, and your ability to push yourself just enough to safely accomplish the goal.
Hiking Over 50
Hikes can be a stroll in the park or strenuous, summit climbing outings. When it comes to enjoying the outdoors and pushing ourselves, it is important for middle-aged folks (and older) to ensure that we can explore for many years to come. Proper planning can go a long way towards exceeding your over 50 outdoor adventure goals.
If you are over 50 and looking to start hiking, there are a few things that you should keep in mind that will ensure success. Here are some tips on how to get started on your 50+ hiking adventures:
1. Choose the right gear. Make sure you have the proper clothing and footwear for the type of hiking you want to do. Alfred Wainwright said that, “there is no bad weather, only unsuitable clothing.”
2. Start slowly and build up your mileage and trail difficulty as you gain experience. Don’t try to do too much too soon. Start with shorter hikes and go from there.
3. Always be prepared. Learn the basics about planning a hike and map reading. These skills will help you stay safe on the trail.
4. Make friends or find existing ones that hike. Find a buddy to hike with or a local hiking group. This can make the experience more enjoyable and help you stay motivated.
With a little preparation and common sense, hikers over 50 can enjoy the many benefits of hiking. By following these tips, you will be on your way to accomplishing you hiking goals!
Kayaking Over 50
Kayaking can be so much fun, especially now that you many have more time and can enjoy outdoor adventures. Starting kayaking when over 50 can be a bit daunting, but it’s definitely possible to accomplish you goals and enjoy being on the water. Here are a few over 50 outdoors tips to get you started kayaking:
1. Choose the right kayak. There are many different types of kayaks on the marketing, both new and used, so it’s important to select one that’s comfortable and suits your needs. For example, if you looking for a kayak that is stable and easy to maneuver, a recreational kayak might be your best option. Remember, you can always rent until you find one that works.
2. Join a kayaking group. There are often local kayaking groups or clubs that meet regularly. Joining one of these can help you meet people with similar interests which provides group confidence. Also, you may be able to get some tips from the more experienced kayakers in the group.
3. Get the right gear. In addition to a kayak, you will need a paddle, life jacket, and other safety gear. Make sure you have the necessities before heading out on the water.
4. Be prepared. Kayaking can be a challenging activity, so it’s important to be prepared mentally and physically. If you’re not in good shape, it’s a good idea to start working out and improving your fitness which will help you start your kayaking adventures.
With these tips in mind, you should be well on your way to starting kayaking when over 50 years old. Just remember to take things slowly at first and to always put safety first.